The Venator-class Star Destroyer is one of the predecessors to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer. It was used during the time of the old Republic and the beginning of the Empire. Not only was it used for space battles, but the Venator could land and deploy troops, and due to its large hanger system it could carry more starfighters then other ships of its size.
The Venator was released a year before the end of the war, in 20 BBY, and quickly became the forerunning capital ship in the Republic Navy. It was more heavily armed then the Acclamator-class Assault ships, and would account for many victories to follow in the waning year of it's reign. It was replaced by the more powerful, more intimdating Imperial-class Star Destroyer.
The Venator was present in many battles throughout the Clone Wars, including the Battle of Kashyyyk, the Battle of Utapau, and most notably, the Battle of Coruscant. The vessel was designed in such a way that it could be operated as an escort or accompanying capital ship, as in the Battle of Coruscant, or act independently. Examples were the Battle of Kashyyyk and the Battle of Utapau.
Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker started their mission during the Battle of Coruscant by flying over a Venator, which completely blocked the battle below. They later had to save a Venator from an assault by a Commerce Guild Recusant-class light destroyer, while they were on the Invisible Hand. This allowed a fellow Jedi to continue the assault on the fleeing CIS fleet.
They were used in various battles by the Republic up until the Clone Wars ended. Vader and Darth Sidious stood aboard a newly christened Imperial Venator-class Star Destroyer observing the construction of the Death Star. Shortly after that, production slowed, as a new model was released. The Venator continued to be used by Pirates, such as the Zann Consortium, and even Mandalorians.
Behind The ScenesEdit
- "Venator" is Latin for "hunter".
- In the early development of Star Wars: Empire at War, the Venator was seen in at least one or two screenshots. It was then featured in the demo, but cut from the final game, though it can be modded back in the game completely. It is now featured in the expansion pack Forces of Corruption and can be built in skirmish mode.
EAW: the ways to add Venator inEdit
- Download mod. Either one that places it in or gives you a better model.
- Go into large DAT file and change something.
- Or more easily take the campaigns file (C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption\Data\Xml\Campaigns_underworld_gc.xml in Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption) and add <Starting_Forces>(Faction), (Planet), Jedi_Cruiser</Starting_Forces> into the space starting forces of a planet in whatever campaign you chose. However you will not be able to build this ship but you will have it as one of your starting forces.