Ronin Entertainment chose to develop an in-house 3-D engine and recreate the game from scratch. As the first Star Wars entry into the then-flooded RTS market, fans eagerly anticipated Force Commander. Upon release, Force Commander was a commercial failure, as well as a disappointment to many fans, who cited the game's graphics and gameplay as its main problems.
The game's action runs from immediately before the Battle of Yavin through the Battle of Coruscant. The player takes on the role of Brenn Tantor, an Imperial commander who later defects to the Rebel Alliance.
Game features include over 40 different unit types, 24 campaign missions and 27 multiplayer missions, 12 3-D environments, and remixes of John Williams's original Star Wars scores as music. Following a trend of its contemporary RTS titles, Force Commander escewed the standard resource management system. Instead, the player gathered "Command Points" to grow his force.
- Jeff Bennett—Brenn Tantor/Abridon Refugee
- David Warner—Grand General Malcor Brashin
- Raphael Sbarge—Dellis Tantor
- Michael Bell—General Tyr Taskeen/Tatooine farmer
- Peter Firth—Captain Beri Tulon
- Tony Plana—Airspeeder Pilot/Imperial Prison Ship Comm Officer
- Olivia Hussey—AT-AA Driver/Abridon Refugee
- Tom Kane—AT-AT Driver/ATC-Airfield/ATC-Star Destroyer/C-3PO
- Carolyn Seymour—AT-AT Barge Pilot/ATC-Frigate/Heavy Lifter Pilot
- Robert Pike Daniel—ATC-Landing Platform
- Harvey Jason—AT-PT Driver/Medical Droid 2-1C
- Steven Jay Blum—AT-ST Driver/Hover Tank Driver
- Phil Proctor—Attack Tank Driver/Rebel Trooper/Stormtrooper Sergeant
- Jennifer Hale—Building Lifter Pilot/Scanner Jammer Driver/Ruulian Prisoner
- Kevin Michael Richardson—Builder Shuttle Pilot/Torpedo Launcher Driver/Y-Wing Pilot
- Keith Szarabajka—Dewback Trooper/Infiltrator/TIE Fighter Pilot
- Alexandra Boyd—Ferry Shuttle Pilot/Ruulian Citizen
- Nick Jameson—Heavy Artillery Platform Officer/A-Wing Pilot/Ruulian Prisoner
- William Morgan Sheppard—Heavy Gun Trooper/Ruulian Strip Miner
- Grey DeLisle—Hover Transport Driver/Leia Organa/Ruulian Terrorist
- Guy Siner—Imperial Interface/Abridon Prisoner/General Maximilian Veers
- Brendan Holmes—Mobile Artillery Officer
- Debi Mae West—Rebel Interface/Troop Carrier Driver/Rebel Dignitary
- David Berón—Rebel Trooper
- Dominic Armato—Repair Droid #47-B/Stormtrooper
- Robert Foster—Speeder Bike Trooper/Wedge Antilles
- Terence McGovern—Stormtrooper
- Jennifer Pajor—TIE Bomber Pilot/Computer Complex Voice/Kalaan Militiaman
- Ethan Phillips—Transport Pilot/Governor of Abridon
- Neil Ross—TR-SD Driver/Han Solo/Ruulian Computer Worker
- Heidi Shannon—A-Wing Pilot/Kalaan Militiaman
- Bill Martin—A-Wing Pilot/Abridon Refugee
- Bob Bergen—Coruscant Palace Guard/Luke Skywalker
- Scott Lawrence—Darth Vader/Rebel Dignitary
Note: The following only work on Version 1.1:
- Extra Command Points - Start a new game with the character name "TheGalaxyIsYours" and then press M in game to get 500 command points.
- All Missions - Start a new game with the character name "TheWorldIsYours" and then double click on it to access all missions.
- Special Troops - Create a new file called "TheGalaxyIsYours". Enter any mission (even a skirmish) and press Ctrl+0 and at the bottom of the screen it should say "stormtrooper". Press up or down until you find the unit you want. Then press left to get what you chose. Also, press Num lock+Keypad asterisk to get 999,999 life for your selected unit.
The Computer Complexes featured in Force Commander have a Striking resemblance to Jabba's Palace.